Thursday, February 4, 2016

Heart Month Day #2 Diagnosis

It was March 4th, routine ultrasound on baby #4. I made it before Thom so our amazing ultrasound guru (Jay) gets started, with just me. I know the drill look at the baby's heart stop #1 because they get too wiggly later on. I know something looks different. Jay is whispering now this is right and this is left. I say Jaaay, does this baby have it's organs on the opposite side? He reassures me that we can look at that area again later. Thom has made it by now and is holding my hand as I fight back the tears and communicate non-verbally with him that something is not right. We didn't want to know the gender so Jay checked everything else out, all was normal. But he kept coming back to scan the heart. It did not look like the other kids hearts. Finally after an almost 2 hour ultrasound, Jay puts his hand on my shoulder and says "something is not right with this baby's heart, I am seeing that the tricuspid valve is not developed and the right side of the heart is not developed"This was the first time I have ever heard Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome. Then he strongly advised us NOT to Google it :) We left the office, we sat together in the van, I wracked my brain for what this all means and tried to give Thom hope, I couldn't, I just didn't know. We decided we needed to know who this person was, boy or girl. After we saw his appointment leave we went back in and asked for him to tell us the gender. He said it is more fun to show you! So with our tear stained and puffy faces we met our son.
A month later we went to a Fetal Echo that confirmed everything that could be wrong with Severins heart was. We fondly refer to this day as our "Holy Shit Day"
Severin's shortened diagnosis is: HRHS, Tricuspid atresia, TGA- post Fontan
Remember this from Pinterest?

No comments:

Post a Comment