Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Heart Month Day #19 Scar

I knew Severin would have a big scar. But he has a lot of little ones too. I have kept a journal for Severin. After each surgery I would draw a "Severin body" and note all the lines he had that would become scars.
I wanted to be able to tell him His story. I wanted to have the answers to his questions about his scars. His physical scars are fading. His chest scar is so light it is hardly noticeable the others are all but gone.
The non physical scars are the ones we worry about now. We have NO idea what the medication he has been on will do for him/to him in the grand scheme of things. He had to deal with a lot of pain at a very young age, before all receptors were developed. It has made him have different coping skills then other children. When he doesn't like what is being said or done he checks out. This appears to people that he is just ignoring or being a brat. He has high pain tolerance. He can be very hurt and not say a word and never cry. This appears to others that he is fine, when he is not. It is treated as "not a big deal" when to him it is the worst thing ever, and he just wants acknowledgement and a hug. He has low physical endurance. This appears that he is being lazy, or that he is disobeying staying with the group. He does the best he can but sometimes his heart hurts. He has to learn to self regulate, and it doesn't look the same way as your kid does. He has to listen to his body-ps he is 5! But he does it, even when he really, really wants to run the bases! One time he self regulated during a game of tag. When we talked to him about it and reminded him of his special heart, and that it was ok to take a break he said "I know or else I will die" Seriously what 5 year old has to think about his own death!!! It is just a reminder to me that everyone has battle scars, not all are seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment