Monday, July 26, 2010

"Rooming in"

I know why they call it rooming in, because you are here but not sleeping. They came in to do a blood draw. Severin is so strong and wiggly, I had to hold him down while lab chick dug around in his foot trying to get a draw. That didn't work so she went for his hand. The poor kid was a mess. And then it wasn't enough for his potassium test, so the IV team came in and started another IV, with another blood draw. We were almost IV free. And then the IV team had to do another blood draw an hour later. Yeah Severin took a while to calm down after that. Potassium came back good. Now the swallow study, he did not pass or fail. He was really upset during the test and only swallowed 2cc, with a lot of work from the Speech Therapist. He did not aspirate, and everything looked like it was going the right way. They want to retest him in a week or so. I am learning some oral stimulation techniques. The fact that he sucks and then has to swallow is too hard for him right now, he lacks the coordination and it stresses him out too much. There is no point in giving him high calorie food when he burns it all up in eating it. He will come home with the NJ, and NG tubes. He is still on oxygen, a very low amount. He will come home with that. We have our going home check list. He is still a Heart Baby. He has done so well, I forget this is HIS normal.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you will be able to bring him home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I can't wait to meet him. I think that I like his Toatlly awesome hair better than his church hair. Either way he is darling!
    I got a little taste of the hell you guys have been going through. My new niece is in the Nicu, what a rollercoaster. We will keep praying for severians progression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad he gets to come home....are you ready? please lets us help. I am so excited to meet him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you guys! What an amazing event to be going home with Severin. I am sure he is ready to go home. How neat for all of you to be home, starting your new normal. Please let us know what we can do to help. Even if it is leaving dinner at your door step. We love you guys and hope your journey home is perfect. Love The Lerwill's

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is what Kylie got on her 1st swallow study no pass no fail. Kind of hard to understand to me? Glad things are going so well!! Just one thing. When we brought Kylie home she was on a horrible time consuming eating scheduale. She would bottle feed as much as she would take for 15 minutes then we would NG the rest via feeding pump. She was on 77cc per hour every 3 hours IT WAS INSANE!! By the time you got the 1st feed done and all cleaned up it was time for the second one. I got no sleep at ALL forever. If they want you to do that I would just ask to do continuous overnight so you only have to get up once to refill the pump. OH and ask to have all your supplies deleivered to the hospital and know how they work before you go home. When we got home they didn't have any of Kylie's stuff there, poor girl missed a feed becasue we didn't know how stuff worked.

    Hope things go great and continue to go so well!!

    Chrissie
    mom to Kylie HLHS moderate TR post Glenn
    chrissietaylor13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angee can you send me your email I have a couple questions for you.
    Jensen11@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strong baby is great news. Go Severin. I would fight them off too. So nice that you get to be in his room with him, and have him to yourself, minus all the repeated checks. So happy to hear things are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete