Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Good Times!

Today was a sit and watch day. By 10:00 pm Severin will be at full feeds. This means he will not need IV nutrition, so no more RA lines, no more Heprine-I thinks that is how you spell it. No more CICU!! His other meds can all given by mouth, but currently given by NG tube. That too will change after they do a swallow study, to make sure he won't aspirate. Then he can start oral feeds, bottle or nursing. He will still need to eat a fortified/high calorie mix with breast milk. Feeding is the next BIG bump. How will he do, how much can he eat before he tires out, maintaining calories for healing and for growth. He loves his bink so in theory if he can suck he should be able to swallow without problems. But the time on the vent and if his heart has any inflamation will determine how well he can swallow. He still has a weak cry so this might affect the study. He had a visit from Grandma Sue and Grandpa Fred. He is on .025 of oxygen which is nothing. So he probally won't need it at home. He just needs to get control and stop holding his breath when he gets mad. He might go home with his NJ tube in his nose, but that is great from where we have come from!! I thought if I posted a little earlier I might not be so confusing-I don't think it worked. I have a lot of distractions (kids,dog,life)
Loves

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the updates! I am so grateful every day for how well he is doing. How are you guys holding up? Did you kick your sinus crap? few things are worse than sinus infections - yuck!
    Severin is absolutely beautiful. Love you guys, so much.

    ReplyDelete