Sunday, August 8, 2010
ER Again
So Severin had another ER adventure yesterday. Thankfully these have not been critical. Thom and Morgan noticed his incision looked infected when they were getting him ready for the day. I called the on call Cardio and of course they do not mess around with these heart kids and wanted to see him in the ER ASAP. The complication with infection in a little one is that they can't fight as well so it is common for infection to spread. They needed lab work, IV team came to do the draw-Severins veins only like the IV team. After 5 pokes, one IV started, one blown out vein in his hand, lots of "digging" and no blood for labs, they paused. Severin was hysterical. By this point Severins O2 sats were in the 50s, he was very blue and I was pissed to put it lightly. I picked him up and told them they can wait for a bit. I have come to grips with Severin being in pain for the greater good, but just plain old dumb ass I can't handle. I didn't know if I would be able to reconize when Severin was "bluer" then usual but after yesterday I know exactly what he looks like when he isn't getting blood flow. I know the IV team was just doing their job, but their job includes a person that they need to monitor. That was too scary. I did take them up on their food offer this time because I hadn't ate since breakfast and I was going to eat my arm off. I graciously accepted and scarfed down a PB&J uncrustables, milk, cheese&crackers, and 2 apple juice cups-did I mention I was hungry? On the final poke they were able to get enough blood for a CBC-to check his white blood cell count. They called the on call Cardiothorastic Surgeon to re open his incision and do a culture in the infected area. Protocall when an infant is in with an infection and they start antibotics, they also have to check urine and spinal fluid for infection. I will let you figure out what Severin had to endure next through those proceedures. He is a brave little boy. Due to all the trauma he is now back on oxygen all the time- he seems to be doing better and might be able to come back off soon. He came home on antibiotics. He peed on his clothes so he did get a fancy new onsie to come home in. I told the Charge Nurse that Primaries and Walmart have the same time vortex, where you leave hours later and spend an excessive amount of money, and have no idea what you have been doing the whole time. Eight hours in the ER, I did get to see Shark week on Discovery channel- twice. On the way home I saw a shooting star, I made the wish that Severin will live to be an old man. I hope this to be true. Lots of loves!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poor little guy! Hope you are getting some rest Angee!!! I made some baked ziti for you, it's in the freezer at my moms. We were going to run it over last night, but you didn't answer when we called. Judging by the day you had, I'm guessing you were probably asleep when we called. Hope all is well, and if you need ANYTHING please let me know! Baked ziti is only a phone call away!! xoxo -Julie
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to both all of you. Babies are so precious. Little Severin is a strong little guy to put up with all that "crap". It's good that he won't remember all he is going through. My wish is that your wish will come true Angee. I can see him now...a healthy and happy 90 year old man saying what a wonderful life it has been, thanks Mom and Dad for all you went through for me. Hope all is doing well now. Talk to you later
ReplyDeleteAnn
First thanks for anwsering the door, robe or not Im glad I got to see you , and finally meet that lil man. He is darling and I LOVE his hair!
ReplyDeleteOh man! I am so sorry that anyof you have to go through any of this! Especially that sweet baby! And Im going to totally give you the A** card, but just this once. jk. Im sure that your star wish will come true and he will live many years! If you want John to come play he is more than welcome anytime Gav would lov it! Mich