Friday, August 27, 2010
Nursing....sort of
On Monday just for kicks I tried to nurse Severin. He looked at me like I was doing so many,many things wrong. So I figured he was just not ready yet. The Nurse on Tuesday said bottle feeding is an opposite tongue action to breast feeding, I thought maybe nursing is further away then I wish. Then this little guy never ceases to amaze me! He has been waking up acting hungry at night. I didn't have a bottle ready for him this morning and he was not wanting to wait. I offered all I had to offer. Severin latched on and nursed for about 5 mins! It was 5am and I wanted to yell in the street! When the OT came today I told her about his accomplishment. She was so excited. We revamped his feeding schedule. He now eats a 65cc bottle 5 times during the day, at night he is on 22cc per hour for 6 hours, and nursing on demand through the night. He has to maintain a certain amount of ounces and calories. The goal is full oral feeds, bottle or nursing, no more continuous feeds so no more NG tube. I want him nursing all the time before his next surgery. For what it is worth -with scale differences in mind- the OT weighed him last Weds. he was 8.1, today he was 8.14! 13 ounces in 9 days! What ever his "real" weight is, he is gaining, and that is GREAT! We will be setting some weight "goals" next week with the Pediatrician. I hope last night wasn't a fluke, and he nurses again tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yea!!!
ReplyDeleteWahoo Ang and Severin! So excited for you!!
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing!! I was able to nurse mt Heart Kiddo - it's a rare thing! Be proud!
ReplyDeleteThat is so great! He is doing so good! If you need a break this week give me a jingle. Michelle
ReplyDelete