We were able to go to Cardio clinic in Riverton today (blessing #1) My amazingly awesome cousin, Jeni, watched Neleh for me. (B#2) When I dropped Neleh off at her house in Lehi, of course I was running a little behind, Jen had printed driving directions for me so I could get to the hospital in 21 mins. (B#3) She is so great! Not to mention she just had extensive dental work done and her wisdom teeth pulled 10 days ago!!! It's hard not to get a little teary eyed when someone sacrifices so much for you. A million Thanks to YOU Jen! We made it on time to the clinic. (B#4) I talked to Dr.Su a few weeks ago so I was prepared for what he might say. (B#5) Severin's heart is starting to fail again... He needs the Fontan proceedure.
I knew this was a 3 part surgery. I knew the day would come. I know Severin must endure another open heart surgery to survive as long as he can. We have had a really great year, with a normal baby. I allowed my worries to be pushed to the very back darkess corner of my mind. And now here they come forward with a blazing force!
Here are the statistics from the appointment, and the plan. Severin did not like the chest Xray, but all was clear.(B#6) Severin weighs 23.7 lbs,(B#7) Blood pressures are great,(B#8)Oxygen saturations 68% at 1st check then 75%-80% after he calmed down some more. I had a gut feeling he was going to be back on O2 all the time. Dr. Su said he is ok- for now- just to be on O2 at night (B#9) Do you know how hard it is to keep a nasal cannula on an active toddler? eeekk! Dr. Su thinks his low saturations are caused by collaterals. They are common in heart kids. It is when the body makes more blood vessels to try to make better blood flow, for Severin his heart is trying to make better oxygen saturations. The body is so amazing at compensating. (B#10) The bummer side is they are not good vessels. They have a negative affect on him and they need to be "coiled" off. Like when you prune a branch or vine to make the rest of the plant grow better. They can coil the collaterals during his heart cath. We will see Dr. Su in 3 months. At that time we will check his oxygen saturations and weight. Then schedule him for his heart cath. This will also be a pre Fontan surgery cath. We expect Severin to need his next open heart surgery in August 2012. So for the next 6 ish months Severin has "goals" to meet again. He needs to be at least 30 pounds for surgery. I really want to get some solid communication skills; signing or verbal. He will need to tell us what is going on, how he feels, understand what we are saying, ect. On the way home he was telling knock knock jokes with Neleh. He was repeating what she had said to me. S-notnot,N-whos there,S-nana. You know the one. They keep saying banana until finally they say orange, you say: orange who, they say: orange you glad I didn't say banana again! Overall I think Severin is doing pretty good, and will be on target for the August surgery date.(B#11&12) I am so thankful for my son being born at a time when the Lord has blessed us with knowledge.(B#13) These knowledgable Drs. are so close to our home, and they know what the next step is to sustain his life.(B# 14&15) As you can see my cup runneth over! We are so very blessed!
Praying for you always
ReplyDeleteI was hoping we could be in the house on the hill together but this way I can help you if you need me !!!!!!
we are SO so blessed in every minute of everyday
Heart hugs Ivy
Next time you have an appointment at the Riverton Hospital, let me know. I live 5 minutes away - I'd be happy to meet you there when you are running late and grab your other kiddos. I get to go meet Dr. Su tomorrow - I have a fetal echo. So glad for all your blessings with Severin - I'll keep him in my prayers that he will continue to do well and meet all those goals for the next surgery.
ReplyDeleteBlessings all around! Cardiology appts are always so scary, I'm glad you can see the positive side. :) Giggled at the knock knock joke :)
ReplyDeleteLove all your blessings! Praying that Severin will do all he needs to to be ready for surgery at the right time!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good appointment. Glad to hear.
ReplyDeleteI have not yet met a HRHS baby so thanks for saying hi. I have heard they have a good prognosis and may not ever need a heart transplant. I sure hope that is true. Severin is a cute boy. You have a lovely family. We went to PC for our surgery and will have the Norwood in March/April. I liked Dr. Su!
ReplyDeleteAngee I'm not a blessing I Love to help out! ANYTIME! The girls had so much fun playing togather, and I got to see that little warrior that is so very full of life and fun! I also loved that we got to chit chat and talk about are crazy lifes! I cant wait tell you have your next appointment so I can watch her agian!
ReplyDeleteLove you Lots!!!