Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cardiology Appointment June 28

After our 6 month vacation from PCMC, it was a bit hard to go back. I always fear they will not let us leave. I fear the echo will say Severin is in heart failure. I fear he will need more procedures. I fear he will need to be sedated for his echo and he will have a reaction to the sedation. I fear fluid on his lungs. I fear decreased heart function. I fear high blood pressures,blood clots, & low O2 sats.


With all that being said. I loaded the bag- o- wonder with LOTS of entertainment, food, snacks, bottles, and suckers! First stop X-ray. Severin thought it was pretty cool, a bit too cool, he wiggled (what we call the worm) and had to have 4 pictures to get a good one-little stink! Next stop echo. Weight check 19.12 woo hoo! Our "Echo Guy"- Ernie was very kind. He was willing to do a dodge and move type echo. I did try to get a picture but it was too blurry. Thankfully this was a limited echo so it wasn't too long. Severin went through 1 bottle, a sucker, a bottle of bubbles, and 3/4 the toys I brought. Sweet Ernie's armhair was plastered to his arm with sucker goo. Good Times! Then on to see Dr. Su. The MA needed to get blood pressures from both arms and legs. Again more bubbles, toys, books, songs and a confetti spray of puffy snacks we got them all. A blood pressure on a crying kid is pointless, but they hate the "hug" of the cuff. Now we wait for Dr. Su to review all the test results.... Everything looked great! Normal heart function. Dr. Su actually said "normal" -it made me laugh. Lungs are clear! Blood pressures within range! His O2 sats were 73%-75% which Dr. Su didn't love but wasn't too worried either. Severin is still on O2 at night so we will just keep him at that for now. We ditched taking Lasix, kept Enapril with the intent he will out grow the need for it. He is just being a regular boy for now. See you in 6 months Dr. Su! All in all they only held us hostage for 4 1/2 hours! Half the time of an ER visit!
We stopped by the CICU to see our heart friend Evie and her Mama. We were able to see our fav. nurse Julie, Dr. Priddle -who took him into his last surgery, and Dr. Kazas NP Bonnie. They all Loved seeing Severin healthy and happy. He did all his cutieness for them. When I left I told them it was great to see them but I do not want to see them again for at least a year. They all totally get that!
Thank you for your prayers and faith this past year. I am watching my son play with toys at my feet because of it. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. yay!! Glad he is doing well and you got to visit with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to hear a good report! Keep up the good work Severin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angee - so glad to hear he's doing well. The fear of those appointments is sometimes so much that I don't believe them when they say Enzo's doing well. I'm so happy for you and Severin though! Let me know if you ever want me to come show you my blog secrets (okay, not really secrets - just skills.)

    ReplyDelete